Monday, May 30, 2016

The Procedure of a Friendeologist's Observations

Calling my self a friend making expert sounds really selfish and lie-ish.  So let's just call me a Freindeologist.

Lab 101
The Procedure of a Friendeologist's Observations
Pronunciation: Friend-ee-olo-gist.

Definition: One who takes careful note in observing and studying the science and technology of friend making.

Objective:  Friend making doesn't come naturally.  I once tried to make a friend.  I made her out of my brothers sock and some blue yarn for hair and a dress made out of my mothers underwear.  We were never really that close.
Friend making is hard, even for extroverts.  I hope that by following this procedure, you will be inspired and use it as a helpful friend making/social tool.  This isn't just for people who have no friends, almost every one have at least one friend.  I hope I give you some points that you never thought of before, and are challenged to try.

Procedure:
If not the shake-their-hand-learn-their-name method, and just go for a question or a complement
The shake-their-hand-learn-their-name is a great way of introducing your self, but I figured you've already seen it.
You don't have to go in order of things, you can start by asking a question or complementing their Doctor Who shirt.  You have no idea how effective the "you're so good at drawing!" complement is.
What if your socially awkward and you don't want to meet anyone and no one wants to meet you? 
I have a friend Captain America who act's on stage like a pro in front of hundreds of people, but states that she's socially awkward.  That's what she says.
The first time I met her, we were both too shy to introduce our selves, so Squimp had to do the introducing.  It was the 'shake hands and learn their name' kind of moment.  We didn't do much talking.
We were at a Christmas party, and we sat at the same table.
Elmeis:  "Awww, they ran out of all the snow man cookies!"
Cap:  (Looking at the snow man cookie on her plate) "You can have mine."
Elemis:  (Being the awkward one) "Oh, uh, but didn't you want it?"
Cap: "Um, yeah, I did, but you can have it.  I already had like, ten."
She was kind.  Friendly.  Honest.  And she probably didn't even feel like meeting a new person.  Then we became Captain America and Bucky.
Be the ice breaker.
You know what a lonely person looks like.  Don't be the lonely person, be the person that makes the lonely person feel less lonely.  Friend making is helpful for others too.  Don't wait for some one friendly to come along.
What if I don't like the people?
HA!  I've learned this one the hard way I'm afraid.  I used to yell at people I didn't like, give them the evil stare, or just right out say I don't like them.  Horrible mistakes.
But I've found a trick that works well for me, you're welcome to try it.  Be polite and professional with them.  Annoying people often care too much about them selves, and want others to feel bad for them or worship them.  They want attention.  Don't give them the attention they want, but don't ignore them.  You don't have to pretend you adore them or laugh at their dumb jokes, but be formal and kind to them.  Trust me, they hate it, which makes them less annoying around you, and even better, you can't get in trouble for just being nice.
And if nothing else, for goodness sake's, JUST SMILE!!!
If you don't remember anything else about this post, remember this.
Smiling and being happy works like magic.  I know people with social skills worth zit, but they smile and that's all they need.  I know some people with great social skills that are always either frowning or looking like their going to cry any minute.  It's very awkward to talk to a person that looks like their going to start balling if you say the wrong thing.  It's also not fun to talk to people that look like they want to slug you because your not cool enough.  We all get moody, but bringing out our moodiness on other people, especially people we don't know, is selfish.  There's no nice way to say it.
Friendly works so well, you don't even have to speak the same language.
I did ballet in Germany as a seven year old.  I couldn't understand anyone, and no one understood me.  Some of the girls were mean about it, and I was mean back at them.  But one day a little girl with fluffy red hair came in.  She looked so happy that I was there, even though we didn't know each other, which made me happy she was there.
She asked, "Konnen wir freunde sein?"
And I said, "Yes!"
And we became friends and pretended we could understand each other.

Data and Results:






















9 comments:

  1. Very nice post!
    I considered myself a sort of friendologist and despite this I recently completely and utterly failed in the area of friendology.

    This was when I was just starting my job and I started it thinking that I would meet everyone and we would all naturally become good chums. This didn't happen. Although they are all friendly people relationships like I have with other friends certainly take more time then I was giving them.

    Another problem was I completely forgot how to handle introverted people! Yes, I do have introverted friends that I talk with just fine. It is just that those people have been friends for so long that I lost all skills when comes to the beginning basics of interacting with an introvert. I brushed up and it's all good now. (Also sorry if I make it sound like introverts are an alien species. That's not my intention.)

    Moral of the story, everyone messes up every now and then so remember to get up and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda just quietly slip in the back and stand there until everyone thinks I've been there forever...
    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when people don't want to be friends so when you try it's really awkward like... oh... okay, you don't wanna talk or anything. So I'll ask you Doc. What do you do with people who don't want to be friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (oh and great post. I love the pictures :D)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you remember that! You have an excellent memory Dr. E! ;D
    I loved your advice, it is very accurate to my personal experiences!
    Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From ME:
    Wow... you saved the picture I drew when I was, like, 7? I'm so honored. :D ... Gosh... I was terrible at drawing...
    Anyways, great post! And very good advice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew: Thank you so much! Yeah, a Friendeologist is not a friend expert by any means. I know, introducing and making friends with introverts is pretty hard depending on the introvert. But you such a friendly guy that people always seem to open up to you!
    RuthAnna: Yeah, you do sometimes. Thanks!
    Emma: I had to think about that one for a while. It sounds frustrating, I haven't had too many experiences with that. What I think is the best answer (which may not be the right answer by any means) is not to spend too much time with them, but when ever you are around just be overly nice. Complement them and stuff. That way for the little time they do spend with you, they feel good about them selves, and people like spending time with people that make them feel good. Hopefully that kinda helps, but you may want advice from a smarter Friendeologist, like Andrew! ;)
    Squimp: No I don't, I only remember times with my friends! XD Thank you for the get well note...And everything else on my wall!
    ME: OF COURSE I DID!!!! And it's a fantastic picture. (Yeah, okay, your better at drawing now.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Buck,
    I feel so honored. Yeah, I think a friendologist is a pretty good way to describe you, you can make friends anywhere, even chick-fil-a. If you hadn't been so nice and friendly I might've not given you my snowman cookie ;)
    Thanks for being a great friend!
    -Cap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cap;
    Thanks! But I'm still an awkward person. I just like to observe.
    If you didn't give me your snow man cookie, I'm pretty sure we'd still be friends because you're so amazing! XD
    -Buck

    ReplyDelete