Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The New Animal Movies (Movie Review)

First; Zootopia.

Cute.  Funny.  Disappointing.
Some of the characters (especially Nick, the fox) were  very well done and completely adorable.  Main character (Judy, the bunny) was cute in looks, but very unrealistic and corny in character.  The dialogue was awkward and cliche, which dulled my hopes for the movie.  If your not picky about dialogue then you'll find the movie easier to enjoy then I did.
I liked the plot.  It was exciting and suspenseful, and almost original.  It had a good mystery.
VERY DISAPPOINTING SHOW DOWN.  I wont give it away, but don't expect too much from the ending.  It all happened too easily.
And I've heard people say that Zootopia went into weird political subjects, like the the 'be what ever you want to be' (not who you want to be, what you want to be.) thing.  I was preparing for this before I watched it, but honestly, if there was anything promoting these things, it wouldn't have made sense.  I personally didn't find anything wrong, just a cheesy 'you can do anything if you believe in yourself' theme.
Also, I feel inclined to mention that six year old Calvin got so scared of this movie he almost barfed.  I'm not exactly sure why he found it so scary after watched the new Jungle Book, but he did, so take that into consideration if you're sensitive to fight sense involving claws.
On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Zootopia a 6.

Second; Secret Life of Pets.

Cute.  Also funny.  Very cliche.
If your a dog person (or an animal person in general) you'll have a good change of liking this movie.  They pulled off the animals well, and the way they compared to real animals was really funny.
The plot was just like every other dog movie, so I don't think I need to go into that.
Some of the humor was forced.  (The audience I was with some how thought everything hilarious.  Only a few parts made me crack).  I have a passion for humor, so when it's not done well I get cranky.  But I did appreciate that someone actually made a cute animal movie that three year old's can go see.
One a scale from 1 to 10, I'd also give Secret Life of Pets a 6.




No comments:

Post a Comment