Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Next up on Critical Me: La La Land, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and the Space Between us.


La La Land 

I've never seen a musical that was realistic.
I enjoyed all of the music, with an exception to a bad singer or two.  Dancing was beautiful.  Dragged on a bit too long at points, but beautiful non the less.  If you're not a fan of musicals, don't worry, there was more story then music and dancing.  They kept it light and enjoyable.
La La Land was about two people who were both down in the dumps, but had big plans for their future, and the results of their meeting.
Plot was simple.  The movie was more focused on character, emotion and theme then it was plot, although the plot was realistic and well thought through.
The first thing that gripped me was the acting.  The actors were fantastic.
The dialogue was gripping and thought provoking.
High on emotion.
Had a very unique, colorful, and yet melancholy style that caught my interest.
Romance was....Romance.  No more.  No less.  The story could not have been a story without it, and it was done very well.  But if you don't like romance, there is chance you will not like this movie.
PG13 warning, mostly for cussing and some...mush.
On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give La La Land an 8.


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 

And this is Asa Butterfield.

I just thought you wouldn't be able to see him very well form the first picture, and I wouldn't want you to miss out......Yes.
Any way.
M.P.H.F.P.C is the story about a group of children all with rather odd and creepy quirks that make them unable to live normally in the out side world.  (And do you know how hard it is to type out that title?  Give me a break).
I appreciated the rather odd style and creativeness that gave it a creepy, thought provoking twist.  But in general, the plot was weak, cliche, and unmemorable.
Characters were lovable, and the brilliant choice of actors and actresses amplified their loveliness.  A disappointing factor to this though, was that the more important the characters, (Main character, love interest, bad guy) were the less lovable and well developed of the bunch.  Which dulled my interest in the story.
Diolouge was so-so.  Had some moments of praise, and some corny catch phrases.
Romance was bad.  I'm not even going to try to be merciful here.  The romance had nothing memorable, unique, or enjoyable about it.  As far I remember, it didn't even move the plot forward at all.
The parts of this movie that kept me enjoying it were 1: Asa Butterfield, 2: the side characters, and 3: the fact that the main character was not a perfect shot on his first try with a cross bow.  Do you know how reliving that is?
PG13 warning!  For slight cussing, and scary disturbing elements.
On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give M.P.H.F.P.C a 6.



The Space Between Us 

And here's Asa Butterfield.  Again.
I thought maybe you didn't get a very good look at him the first time...So...
(There are not a lot of guys that I find beautiful.  But seriously man!)
Back on tack and completely focused.
I walked into Space Between us with low expectations, and came out quite surprised and emotional.
It was about a kid born on Mars, who ventures to earth, despite the fact that his body cannot handle earth's system, resulting in his life at risk.
Plot was creative, but gappy and not very well developed.  Had a good twist at the end though.
Character were well developed.  I wasn't a fan of the female character, on account of her corny-white girl-teen-with-an-attitude cleche, but she was well developed and a good actress non the less, and by the end of the movie I grew more attached to her.
Romance was so-so.  About as good as it get's with a mushy teenage romance, which isn't very good.  If the romance was under control, I would have enjoyed this movie so much more.  What kept me enjoying it as much as I did, was the main character and his unique lovableness, and the fact that the dialogue was good.  So much of the dialogue refrained from cheesy love catch phrases, and more unexpected things that gripped me and poked my emotions.
Humor was well done.  I laughed aloud more then once.
Again, I loved this movie most for the emotion.
PG13 Warning!  For....................What you might expect in mushy teenage romance.
On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give the Space Between us an 8.




2 comments:

  1. YES! Asa Butterfield nobody will listen to me about him!!!! His eyes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrah!!! We finally agree on a good looking guy! His eyes are the best.

    ReplyDelete