Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Short Story On Account Of Domino

I told you a little about my new boy, Domino, in a previous post.  Here's a scene I wrote from his past that I'm not sure will end up in the actual story but is fairly important.  He appears the age of seven or eight, but is actually about ten minutes old.  He has just appeared on earth, with a head full of all the general information one needs to get along in life, and a mission.  He remembers nothing of being with his birth parents in...'ghost land' or what ever.  It's like waking up from a dream.



“Hello, is this the Deep’s house?”  
“Yes,” She smiled down at me with her perfect pink lips.  She wore a baggy gray hoodie and her pony-tail was still damp from a shower.  She seemed a little too young to be my mother, maybe in her 20's, but I guess I seemed a little too old to be her baby.
“Oh, cool,” I smiled back and fought for an introduction.  They told me what to do, but they forgot to tell me how to introduce myself.  I mean, I know I didn’t seem threatening.  I asked that guy on the side walk what I looked like, and based on his description I concluded myself to be a pretty good looking chump.  Who could reject me?  A cute kid like me and a nice lady like that just seemed to fit together.  Maybe we could even look alike!
“My name is Dominic, or what ever you here forth decide to name me.” A good start.  But my vocabulary was too big.  I should probably start off seeming the age I appeared, “Dominic Deep.  That’s my last name.  That’s your last name right?”
She giggled like a little girl, “Yes.” 
I liked her a lot.
“Yes.  Well.  I’m here to say, or, I was sent to tell you that I’m your new kid.”
Her eyes narrowed and she pursed her lips, “As in…”
“Like, your kid.  Like, your baby.  Your child.  Your son.  Son!” I pointed at her and laughed, “That’s the word I was going for.”
“Your my son?” She squinted like looking into the sun.  Only instead of squinting up at the sun she was squinting down at her son.  
“I hope that’s okay with you,” I widened my ‘pretty blue eyes’, “I mean, if you really don’t want me that’s fine.  It is kind of rude, me demanding you to take care of me for the rest of childhood.  But I mean, I’ll try not to be too much of a pain in the rear, and perhaps spare myself from any pains upon my rear.” 
 I tried a laugh at me clever joke, but my new mother forgot to laugh.  Her chest heaved and she opened her mouth to speak but I was on a role,  “All I ask is that you drive me around to my different activities until I’m old enough to drive.  And if you could feed me that would be marvelous.”
“I-” She shook her head and rubbed her elbow, “Did you run away?”
“No,” I laughed, “I’ve never even existed before.  But in 'ghost land' or what-ever Mom and Dad told me to ‘get a life!’” I mimicked my deceased parents with a polite laugh in which my new Mother forced a crooked giggle.  Like a violin vibrato.
“So they sent me here to your house so you could adopt me if you wanted.  I got a bag full of vital-earth-living-equipment so you don’t need to provide that,” I turned sideways to show her my back pack with every pocket fattened with ‘vitals.’”
My new mother blinked.  She had pretty dark eye lashes.  She looked passed me with her little nose in the air, as if expecting more children to appear coming down her graveled drive way.   
She bent down a little so her face was closer to mine and said in a deeper, softer voice, “Are you lost?”  
“No.  I’ve never even been here before.”
“So, you are lost.”
Who could one get lost in a little town like this?  Even an alien like me couldn't.
“I mean, I’ve never been to planet earth before.  I’ve literally walked from town to your door step in my entire existence which doesn’t mean much because I don’t even exist.”
By her face she evidently watched way too much sci-fi, which made me love her even more.  
“It’s really complicated, but the important thing is, I’m here now and I’m ready to start my life.  You can forget the rest.”  I found my efforts fleeting, “May I at least stay the night?”
“Who sent you?”
“Mom and Dad said, ‘God.’  But I never actually received that message from him personally.”
She bent down so she balanced on the balls of her feet and propped her elbows on her knees.  She looked me straight in the eyes, "Who are your parents?"
“J.B and Lesley McDonald.” 
“Okay!” She cried and jolted backwards so she fell on her hands and crawled away from me into her house, “You need to go!  Get out!  Get away from me!”
“Wait!  Calm down!  I’m not trying to haunt you!”  Well, if the definition of ‘haunting’ was a spirit or un-earthly creature visiting you and scaring you then technically, yes, I was haunting her.
“J.B and Lesley never had kids!  They never even got married!” She protested.
“Oh yeah,” I shook my head, forgetting to mention this, “They got married after they died.” 
She stared at me like a statue.  But her breathing was amplified and her neck tensed.  I thought if I opened my mouth one more time she would faint, but I couldn’t leave my new mother in such a state.  So I started again, casually, 
“Result,” I snapped my fingers and pointed to myself with a big smile.
“Okay,” She slowly eased off the floor with one hand in front her like I was going to attach, “I don’t want to call the police.  But so help me if you keep saying things like that and trying to scare me then I will, okay?  You hear me?”  
I blew it.  Why couldn’t my deceased parents have looked down from ghost land and found some other lady to be my mom who wasn’t friends with them before?  But thinking this stabbed me because I liked my new mother too much already.
“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry!"  I looked straight up in her pretty brown eyes.
She sighed and rubbed her face, “What do you want?”  Her voice maintained it’s calmness with a hint of melancholy.
I wanted her to be my mom.  I wanted her to love me, not think I was some prank playing brat.  It was the first thing I ever wanted, my mother.  I guess that’s the first thing everyone wants when they enter this world.  The thought of walking away from that house and letting her close the door was such an empty, stinging thought.  I wanted my mom.
“I just want a turkey sandwich.”
One of her eye brows went up and the other went down.  She looked at me through her fingers.  Then her shoulders shook like she was crying, but when she dropped her hands, her face and wrinkled in a giggle.  She cleared her throat, “You, uh, you want a turkey sandwich?”  
I nodded, “If it’s not too much trouble.” My voice was soft, I couldn’t get my spirits high enough to speak any louder.
She was giggling so hard that her face blotched red and she rubbed under her eyelids with her knuckles, leaving wet streaks.  
“Okay,” She said when she found a breath.  She stepped aside and opened the door a little wider. 


  


    

2 comments:

  1. I love Domino! He's funny. Let us read more when you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Megan!!!! I'd love to post more and get any feed back or ideas you guys have. It's a ruff outline so any help would be great!

    ReplyDelete