Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Slaughter the Art

Slaughter the Art 


Breaking the Brush
Slaughter the art 
Burning the music 
Tar it apart 

You've given us beauty
We roll it in dirt
A soul for loving
We feed it to flirt 

The instruments are ours
You've given us a song
We smash then down to splinters
We tune the notes to wrong

You've placed us on a stage
So we could be as light
Yet we bite and suck the glory
We're vampires in the night

Or we of little faith
Dancing in the Dark 
Voices shut
Hands in pockets
Too afraid to make a mark 

We look to the saint
He shakes his head
"Art is for sinners
Fiction is dead."

But I look to you 
And you say this instead
"I'm the beauty
Hidden deep
I'm the music
Never played 
I'm the book 
That's never written 
I'm the art
That will not fade"

"I'm the stage that's built on purpose 
For you to take a stand
Upstage center 
Upstage right 
Now take my hand 
Step into the light."





















1 comment:

  1. Hello Emily,
    We just read your poem. I like this one a lot. I especially like the ending. Well done on the climax.
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete